Saturday, September 2, 2023

Day 8 - The Grind

 This ride was the longest so far at 400+ miles. From Rochester, Minnesota, to Oacoma, South Dakota, the plan was pretty simple.  We were to get on Highway 14 and stay on it all day.  It was a straight road over flat, barren country for mile after mile.  There were no redeeming qualities at all.  It was made worse by long stretches of bumpy road and strong a wind against us all the way. 

This was just the recipe to bring back my left shoulder and neck pain.  It was no fun.  Each bump shot pain through me.  When big trucks passed in the opposite direction, the buffeting wind blast did likewise.  I decided to tough it out.  But, after 350 miles of this punishment, I became unable to operate the motorcycle safely.  I could not turn my head to do shoulder checks.  Both my hands were slow to get to the clutch and brake.   I had to tap out.  The bike went on the trailer and I did the last 90 minutes of the trip in the truck cab.  


Close to the end, crossing the Missouri River

The only sensible thing to do is rest the next day and try to regain fitness.  I resolved to be there to jump in and resolve any mechanical issues that might arise with the Vincents.  


Our head crewman Ryan Ambrose is about to go back to his regular job at Big D Cycle in Dallas.  He has done an incredible job but Big D could only spare him for half the trip.  At Deadwood he will be flying home.  It is up to me to fully take over the technical reins on all things Vincent.  This is the job for which I was brought onto the trip.  It was never intended that I ride the whole way.

Ryan At Work - often very late into the night.

That evening, I thought all this over while having a good soak in the hotel's hot tub.  Ryan was showing the strain of the long hours.  How could I both ride and take on his repair chores?  I had to accept that it would not be possible and that I must manage myself differently.  I helped the crew with a few things and retired early.

Beating the heat - Richard completes Day 8. 
The above shows the nature of the terrain.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 19 - The Last Day On the Road !!!!

  Here it is, what we have all been waiting for and working so very hard to achieve. Only a few words ... The day started like this ... . .....